Sunday, December 26, 2010

How I got my name!

Alright. So my full names is Michael Alexander Chase. I go by Alex Chase and most people just call me Chase. A lot of people end up thinking that my first name is Chase.  I asked my parents why I go by my middle name and its not an interesting story. They said it was because they discovered shortly after  my birth certificate was finalized, that Michael was the most popular boy's name in America. ....And also it would make my initials MAC....?

This name situation has lead to some terrible first impressions. The most common of which is the simple delay from trying to decide which name to call myself. Introducing myself goes some like "Hi! I'm, Ah... Alex."
"Are you sure its Alex?"
"...Yes."
Not a big deal. This one's mostly my fault for being indecisive.

However, one time I introduced my self, "Hi, I'm Alex." to a girl at a party.
All was going fine until my buddy came over and said, "Ahh, I see you met Chase!"
Girl-"I thought your name was Alex!"
Me- "It is. It's Alex Chase."
Girl- "Let me see you're drivers license. This says Michael Chase. Creep!"
Girl walked away before an explanation.

Also, college interviewer calling my house:
Me: Hello?
Interviewer: Hello. This is John form Clark University. Is Michael Chase available?
Me: Who? Oh, me. Yes I'm right here.
Interviewer: ....Oh wow. Ok. (sigh)...
Answers to own name: Check!

My first day of high school:
Teacher takes attendance...

Teacher: Angela Chan?
Angela: Here.
Teacher: Ariana Chao?
Ariana: Here!
Teacher: Michael Chase?
Me: Here.
Teacher: Do you prefer Mike or Michael?
Me: ...Alex...actually.
(Class laughs)
Teacher: ...How about I just call you "Mike the smartass"? You know its the first day Mr. Chase and I can't even get through attendance without you starting trouble.
Me: ...Ah....Sorry.

1 comment:

  1. "alex panasyuk?"
    "here... actually, it's 'sasha'"
    "what?"
    "its sasha"
    "what?"
    "SASH-.." *sigh*

    ReplyDelete